Now that you understand full swing, we can discuss ball position with the various clubs in your bag. Remember, the swing is your swing no matter which club you are using. What is being adjusted is the ball position in reference to your stance in the set up position.
Let’s look at ball position (where the ball is in reference to your feet at address) for the following clubs:
- Fairway Wood
- Ball should be in the center of your feet or,
- Just slightly forward of center – a little towards your target
With an iron this is the lowest point of the arc of your swing. You are making a slightly descending strike. It allows you to contact the ball first and then brush the turf. The ball will roll up the face of the club creating backspin on the golf ball, allowing it to get airborne.
Hybrid & Fairway Wood
- Position the ball more forward in your stance
- The ball should be closer to your target
- Place the ball about one inch inside your front foot’s heel
This set up will promote a more sweeping action, which allows you to sweep the golf ball off the turf.
- Set the ball on the tee
- Position the ball in line with your front foot’s heel
- Draw an imaginary line from the ball straight back to the heel of your front foot
You want to sweep the ball off the top of the tee. With the ball position further forward in your stance and on the tee, the arc of the swing is starting to move upward. With the driver you are contacting the ball as the club is starting its upswing resulting in a high flying shot.
Now that you understand long game, let’s discuss short game.