In a recent post I talked about the importance of swinging your swing. Read it here.
The take-away from that post is that your swing is yours and yours alone. You should embrace your swing…not try to imitate someone else’s. Work with your natural abilities.
Notice I said work. Your natural swing is your starting point. After that you work to improve it so you become more consistent with your ball striking.
Here are some things to work on to improve your golf swing.
- To make a successful golf swing, it must be tension free. Tension is a golf swing killer. When I teach, I find students have the most tension in their hands and arms. Your only contact with the golf club is your hands, so it is important to develop a grip that is comfortable. If you do not have a comfortable grip you will create tension and have a very difficult time swinging the golf club.
- Focus on good rhythm and tempo as you swing the club. As you practice and play concentrate on your tempo, not the cadence of the guy next to you at the driving range or your partner on the course. As you continue to play your own rhythm will become ingrained in your body so you will get to a point where you don’t need to think about it. You will have created the proper timing for your swing resulting in a consistent strike of the ball.
- Stay balanced throughout your swing all the way to your finish position. You can achieve good balance from a proper set up and maintaining good posture throughout your swing. Losing your balance at any time during your swing will result in inconsistent contact with the ball causing poor shots. There are three balance checkpoints during the swing to help you feel the correct balance. Learn more about these checkpoints here.
- Pay attention to the impact of the club face with the golf ball. The only thing the golf ball will react to is the impact position. Make contact with the golf ball with a square club face and strike it in the center of the club head. The position of the club face at impact affects the direction of the golf ball by 85%. The other 15% is the path the club swings on.
You have to be comfortable swinging the club…if you’re not your results will be poor shots and inconsistency.
To get comfortable…
Swing your swing, tension-free, balanced with good rhythm and tempo, and a square club face at impact.
Do you have any tips that have helped you improve your swing? Let us know.